Meditation is Hard, Vitamins are Easy: The Return of the Good Health Project

I did not intend of taking such a long break from posting about The Good Health Project, but sometimes Life Happens and my determination to Focus on Focus meant that my posting has been sporadic at best these past couple of weeks.

When last I left you, I had made a commitment to meditate for at least five minutes each day. The thought was that five minutes is short enough to be able to fit into anyone’s crazy schedule, but long enough to find my zen and center my mind in preparation for the day.

Five minutes seemed like a short period of time, however when I sat down to actually meditate, I learned that five minutes just hanging out in my own mind is kind of a long time. In my first session, I set my alarm to ensure that I woke up a few minutes earlier than normal. I moved from my bed (to prevent me from falling back to sleep) and sat on the couch in my darkened bedroom. The kids weren’t awake yet so the house was quiet. I closed my eyes and sat there peacefully for what seemed like quite a long time. I opened my eyes to learn that 1 minute and 10 seconds had passed. Yikes.

guru cartoon

Image courtesy WebDonuts

When I tried to return to my meditation to complete my allotted five minutes, I found it impossible to quiet my mind at all. It was dancing here and there, thinking this and that, then one side of my brain started to tell the other side that it needed to SHUT-UP BECAUSE WE’RE BUSY MEDITATING HERE, which made the other side start chanting BUT HOW MUCH LONGER, HOW MUCH LONGER, HOW MUCH LONGER, WE HAVE THINGS TO DO!. And on it went.

Subsequent days of meditation didn’t work out much better. I was very much the Julia Roberts character in Eat Pray Love. I can’t “just let it be.” I still haven’t managed to achieve the point where I can calmly sit for five minutes in quiet meditation. I guess I’m trying too hard.

In the midst of all of my meditation angst, I took a trip to the health food store and returned with a vast selection of supplements. I know that Nicole has been suggesting I take supplements every time I get sick (which has been a lot lately), so I did a little research, took Dr. Oz’s advice on critical vitamins for women and started a vitamin and natural supplement daily regime.

Each day I take one multivitamin, 1000 mg of fish oil, 1000 mg of Vitamin D, as well as the recommended dosage of Glucosamine Chondroitin which I’m hoping will help reduce the constant joint pain that I’ve had since having my kids (those kids don’t know how lucky they are)….however the jury is still out on that last one.

So until next time, I’ll continue trying to calm my mind while popping my pills.

Do you have a health tip for me? I’m looking for any kind of health tips – exercise, food, supplement, or mind-body-energy related.

Am I a doctor? No I’m not. Nothing here is intended as medical advice. If you need medical advice, consult your doctor.

Comments

1. says

The vitamin thing – it’s good advice! I swear it really helps me.

Heh. Every morning after yoga it is mandatory to lie down on your mat and take sivasana. One is supposed to lie there with a clear mind for 10 minutes. I’m lucky if I make five. I think meditation and just sitting with a clear mind, not making up to-do lists or thinking about how much I hate the elderly (oops, that wasn’t yogic, sorry) is one of the hardest things to do. There is something in yoga that states that sivasana is the most difficult pose because of wandering minds. AMEN.
    Nicole´s last blog post ..If the icy sidewalks don’t kill the elderly, I will.

2. says

hehe that is such a funny clip! It took me a month of practicing to get the meditation thing working the way I wanted it too. I think it is awesome that you are trying it out. Sending positive vibes :) Have a great week!
    Wendy Irene´s last blog post ..No Strings Attached

3. says

You’re not a doctor?? ;)

I still haven’t tried meditation, except for the last pose in yoga class but that was years ago. For me it helped to have someone saying quiet your mind who is not *in my mind* — like a guided meditation tape or something. I mean, of course we don’t use tapes anymore, but whatever you kids are doing on your iphones these days. I’m sure there’s a meditation app. It would have to be just the right voice, though. Hey do you want me to record a guided meditation for you? I could follow a script. I’d use my serious voice. Ahahahahahahaha. Maybe not.

4. says

I’ve been telling myself for years that I want to start meditating and I thought about it lots but didn’t ever stick to it. Now I’ve been doing the same thing you’re doing – 5 minutes a day after getting up earlier. All I can say is, it gets easier! It took a while and then it really does get easier. I decided that I wouldn’t judge any of the thoughts that came up for me or the conversations in my head. I would just go back to breathing whenever I noticed myself getting distracted. Well, I’m up to 15 minutes now and usually it goes by in a flash! Stick with it and keep us posted on your progress. :)

5. says

Never mind meditating. I have sunk into such a deep, deep slough of lethargy I can’t even make myself walk around the freaking block right now. If I tried to meditate, both sides of my brain would be howling at my ass to get up and DO SOMETHING. I take Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. I should look at the fish oil. I stopped taking glucosamine because I read that it causes weight gain in some people and christ, I do NOT need any more help in that area. I’m currently researching electro-convulsive therapy. Good health, here we come.

6. says

The key is to know that the “howling” is part of the meditation practice so you have not failed. You meditated for a minute. Good for you! Celebrate the victories and keep going. (I am not a certified meditation guru).
    harriet´s last blog post ..Couch diving with loon

7. says

I really feel like I should meditate, and I’ve resolved (publicly) to do it, but I haven’t been able to bring myself to do it so far. I am actually scared of meditation. Something tells me that beating myself up for not meditating is like the direct opposite of what meditating is supposed to accomplish.

So, yes, I agree, vitamins are easier. I already take a multivitamin and 1000mg of vitamin D. I really should add the fish oil. Then I’ll be golden, right?
    Amber´s last blog post ..Eight Tips for Avoiding Toxins